SACEMA Vacancy: SCIENCE OFFICER
SACEMA is hiring a Science Officer to be based in Stellenbosch and who will be reporting to the Director SACEMA. The Science Officer will provide scientific support to SACEMA by actively coordinating and contributing to proposal and report writing as well as preparing articles for publication in scientific journals. The Science Officer will also provide writing and editing support for research funding proposals and scientific publications by early career scientists at SACEMA. The ideal candidate will have a PhD in a relevant discipline, a passion for supporting quantitative research to improve health in Africa, a desire to learn new things, and excellent organisational, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Assisting with writing grant proposals and applications.
- Assisting with preparing scientific reports for funders.
- Assisting with the scientific output of SACEMA, including scientific publications.
- Assisting with the development of protocols for study implementation.
- Assisting with the preparation of regulatory documents for submission to local ethics committees once the study protocol has been developed.
- Collating and summarising information and providing editorial assistance for all SACEMA documentation to ensure high standards for grammar, format and presentation.
- Assisting the Director with presentations for national and international conferences.
- Supporting early career scientists at SACEMA to apply for research funding and publish their findings.
- PhD / other doctoral degree in Epidemiology, Mathematical Epidemiology, or other relevant quantitative discipline.
- At least five years post PhD experience in a research environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in word processing and data management skills.
- A strong record of publishing in high impact scientific journals.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- A strong record of managing successful interdisciplinary and inter-institutional collaborations.
- Experience with Human Subjects Research ethics review processes.
- Experience with writing scientific reports to funding organisations.
- Experience with writing successful proposals for external funding.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Familiarity with the broad range of disciplines encompassed by SACEMAs research, including infectious disease epidemiology, public health, disease ecology, mathematics, and statistics.
Apply online at: Careers @ SU
Application deadline extended: 02 December 2022
Queries may be directed to: Prof Juliet Pulliam
For more information, please see the advertised flyer.
DSI-NRF Centre of Excellence in Epidemiological Modelling and